POSITION: SENIOR TEACHER
REPORTS TO: TEAM LEADER
DIRECTLY SUPERVISING: EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATORS, RELIEVERS,ALL CHILDREN AND STUDENTS.
RELATIONSHIPS WITH: STAFF, PARENTS,FAMILIES/WHANAU,TRAINING TUTORS, SPECIAL EDUCATION SERVICES AND PEOPLE
IN THE WIDER COMMUNITY.
To ensure children are educated and cared for in a safe, hygienic environment.
To ensure parents are welcomed, valued and that they understand the centre’s philosophy, policies, practices and curriculum.
To understand and practice the standards set by policies, regulations, Desirable Objectives and Practices (DOP’s), curriculum and the charter of the centre.
To maintain effective working relationships with other staff and volunteers.
TEACHING / CURRICULUM RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Ensure that programme planning is undertaken in advance and that it is developmentally appropriate, is implemented and managed effectively to ensure outcomes are achieved and that it is evaluated.
• To ensure the environment responds to children’s individual developmental levels, including
their physical and emotional needs.
• To support staff in fostering self help skills of children by supporting individuality and independence.
• To demonstrate a respect for diversity. Assist with the provision of anti-bias, non-sexist language, images and experiences.
• To ensure daily core activities are offered.
• To ensure children’s portfolios are completed regularly and documented and made available to parents.
• To ensure areas are kept organised, safe, supervised and hygienic at all times.
• To ensure that the children’s needs and interests are identified, met and extended.
• To ensure Resources/equipment are organised attractively, stored and used appropriately.
• To ensuring protection and maintenance of the Centre’s equipment.
• To ensure that developmental delays / strengths are identified and that extra assistance is sought for children as required.
INTERACTIONS WITH CHILDREN:
• Interactions with children are frequent and meaningful.
• Demonstrate respect and observe children’s interests. Intervene when needed to maintain safety.
• Enhance children’s play with language, equipment and activities.
• Communicates with each child at the child’s level.
• Engage and communicate constructively with individual children during activities and routines.
• Encourage and model social behaviour and expectations, which are developmentally appropriate.
• Acknowledge feelings with sensitivity and demonstrate appropriate expression of emotions.
• Model positive discipline techniques.
• To provide leadership by example and to model consistent standards maintaining a relationship of co-operation.
• Communicate directly to ensure problems are identified, foreseen and solutions found promptly.
• To ensure daily classroom responsibilities are completed.
• Be considerate, attentive and positive to the needs of team members.
• Offer and share ideas with co-workers.
• Uphold the standards set by the Centre Management, the philosophy, policy values, goals and curriculum to parents, co-workers and community.
• Model professional work ethic and ensure continuity of education and care by reporting to work on time and maintaining consistent attendance.
• Ensure that staffing schedules/rosters are followed.
• Demonstrate flexibility and be open to new ideas.
PARENT / VISITOR INTERACTIONS:
• Greet parents and children by name and ensure parents and visitors feel valued and welcome.
• Demonstrate a courteous professional manner to all parents and visitors.
• Ensure all parents’ comments /concerns are handed on to theTeam Leader.
• Maintain confidentiality.
• Invite input from parents regarding their child’s development and care.
• Attend Centre and classroom events, including parent evenings and staff meetings.
• To ensure children are ready to leave in a clean and tidy state with all their possessions at the end of the day.
PROFESSIONAL AND PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
• To dress appropriately.
• To ensure adherence to Centre policies and matters documented in the Staff and Policy Handbooks.
• To display enthusiasm, honesty, punctuality and professionalism at all times.
• To attend professional development courses to further develop your skills.
• To ensure the Centre Directors decisions are communicated in a positive manner to all staff, parents, families/whanau.
• To assist with administrative tasks delegated by theTeam Leader.
• To ensure information collected is used for the purpose that it was collected.
• All centre requirements associated with Occupational Health and Safety.
• Maintain all Ministry of Education ratios.
• Maintain all Centre Policies including those relating to health & safety.
• Maintain full compliance with the Early Childhood Regulations and Desirable Objectives and Practices.
• Any other duties as may, from time to time be delegated by management.
• All outward correspondence and or newsletter require approval of the Curriculum Mangerr.
• This document will be amended from time to time as agreed by the parties.